For those who own an Amazon Firestick, understanding its features, especially the hidden ones, can significantly enhance user experience. One such feature, often sought after by advanced users, is the Developer Options that users are always looking for to allow apps from unknown sources, especially since Firestick is known as a perfect device for streaming IPTV. In today’s guide, you will learn how to access this hidden gem.
What are the Developer options on Firestick?
Developer Options on Firestick is a hidden menu designed for advanced users and developers, offering enhanced settings to tweak the device’s functionalities. Key features within this menu include:
- ADB Debugging: Allows developers to connect and debug applications via a PC.
- Install Apps from Unknown Sources: Essential for users wanting to install apps not present on the official Amazon Store.
- Deep Sleep Mode: A mode to conserve energy when the device is idle, enhancing its efficiency.
If you want an app not in the Amazon Store, you’ll need to use these options. But be careful, making wrong changes can mess things up. From FireOS 22.214.171.124 onwards, Amazon hid these options a bit more, but you can still find them if you know where to look.
Developer options on old vs new Firestick devices
Firestick devices with FireOS versions predating the 126.96.36.199 update offered direct access to developer options. For those on an older version of FireOS, follow these steps:
- Power on your Firestick.
- Head to “Settings.”
- Opt for “Device.”
- Within the “Device” menu, locate “Developer options.”
- From here, toggle on “ADB” or “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
It’s essential to highlight the security aspect of these settings. Developer options, by design, safeguard your Firestick from potential malware attacks hidden within unauthorized software.
When you allow apps from outside the Amazon Store, you risk exposing your device to malicious third parties that could compromise your data privacy.
Always exercise caution and ensure any sideloaded app comes from a trustworthy source!
How to get developer options on old Firestick devices?
For older Firestick devices:
- Navigate to the Home Screen.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Device.
- Scroll down to find the “Developer options.”
- Finally, turn on the toggle to enable “ADB” or “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
How to get developer options on new Firestick devices?
For newer Firestick devices, there are four different methods to access developer options:
- From settings (traditional way)
- Using Firestick Remote
- Using the Game controller
- Using Android Debug Bridge tool
How to get developer options on Firestick from settings? (The traditional way)
- From the main Home Screen, scroll to Settings.
- Select My Fire TV or Device.
- Navigate to Developer Options.
How to get developer options on Firestick using Firestick remote control? (For developers)
- Hold down the Play/Pause and Select buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds.
- A menu will appear, revealing the Developer Options.
How to get developer options on Firestick using a Game controller?
- Connect the game controller to your Firestick.
- Press the X and Play/Pause buttons together.
- The Developer Options will then be displayed.
How to get developer options on Firestick using the Android Debug Bridge tool? (Using Commands)
- Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB) on your computer.
- Connect your Firestick and PC to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Get the IP address of your Firestick from its Settings > About > Network.
- On your computer, open a command prompt or terminal.
- Enter the command: adb connect [Firestick IP address].
- Once connected, enter adb shell settings put global development_settings_enabled 1.
Why I don’t see developer options on Firestick?
If you’re unable to see the Developer Options, ensure you’re looking under the correct settings tab. For newer devices, it’s under “My Fire TV” or “Device”. If it’s still not visible, try restarting your Firestick.
Is jailbreaking a FireStick illegal?
No, jailbreaking a Firestick is not illegal because the device is your personal property. However, the apps you might use after jailbreaking could be illegal, so it’s crucial to do your research and use them responsibly.
Which FireTv devices can I access Developer options?
Developer options are available on all Fire TV devices, including Firestick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and earlier models.
Unlocking the Developer Options on your Firestick allows for a more versatile use of the device. Whether you’re a developer looking to test new apps or a general user wanting to sideload third-party applications, this guide provides all the pathways.
Always exercise caution and ensure you’re not infringing on any copyrights or causing potential harm to your device!