Kodi, an open-source media player, has revolutionized the way we consume digital media. Known for its versatility and customization options, Kodi allows users to access a vast array of streaming services and media files.
When paired with Samsung Smart TVs, which are renowned for their high-quality display and user-friendly interface, Kodi elevates the viewing experience. However, Samsung Smart TVs operate on Tizen OS, making direct installation of Kodi a challenge, unlike Android-powered Smart TVs.
This guide will explore alternative methods to enjoy Kodi on your Samsung Smart TV. Read on!
How to Install Kodi on Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs do not support direct installation of Kodi due to the Tizen OS. But there are still viable ways to enjoy Kodi on these devices. Here are the three most popular methods:
Using Google Chromecast
- Add Chromecast to Your Device:
- For Mobile Devices: Download the Google Home app from your respective app store. Open the app and follow the setup instructions to add Chromecast to your device. Make sure your mobile device and the Chromecast are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- For Computers: If you’re using Chrome, click the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner. Select ‘Cast…’ from the menu. This allows you to cast your browser tab, your entire desktop, or a specific file to your Chromecast. You can pin this feature to your toolbar for quick access.
- Install Kodi:
- On Mobile Devices: Go to the Google Play Store, search for Kodi, and install it. Open Kodi and complete the initial setup process, which includes language selection and setting up media locations.
- On Computers: Visit the Kodi website, download the appropriate version for your operating system, and install it. Run Kodi and configure your settings as per your preference.
- Cast Your Screen:
- Using Mobile Device: Open the Google Home app, find the ‘Cast screen’ option, and select your Chromecast device. Your device’s screen will now mirror to your TV.
- Using a Computer: Click the ‘Cast’ button in Chrome, choose ‘Cast desktop’, and select your Chromecast. Your computer’s screen will now be mirrored to your TV.
- Launch Kodi with a VPN:
- Before streaming content, open a VPN app like NordVPN on your device and connect to a server. This will help protect your privacy and may provide access to geo-restricted content.
- Open Kodi and start streaming. The content will appear on your TV screen via the Chromecast.
Using Roku Device
- Install Kodi on Your Device:
- Download and install Kodi on your mobile device or computer. Ensure that Kodi is properly set up and that all necessary add-ons are installed for your streaming needs.
- Activate Screen Mirroring on Roku:
- On your Roku device, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System’ > ‘Screen Mirroring’. Choose ‘Screen mirroring mode’ and select ‘Prompt’ or ‘Always allow’ to enable mirroring.
- Install a Casting App:
- On your mobile device, find and install a casting app from your app store that is compatible with Roku. For computers, you might be able to use the native casting feature in Google Chrome or install a third-party application if needed.
- Use a VPN and Start Kodi:
- Activate a VPN service like NordVPN on your streaming device for enhanced privacy and access to more content.
- Open Kodi and choose the media you wish to play. Your device’s screen, with Kodi running, will be mirrored to your Samsung Smart TV via Roku.
Using an Android TV Box
- Install Kodi on Your Android Box:
- Plug in and set up your Android TV Box with your Samsung Smart TV. Go to the Google Play Store on your TV Box, search for Kodi, and install it. This process is similar to installing apps on any Android device.
- Use a VPN for Safe Streaming:
- Before launching Kodi, it’s advised to connect to a VPN. Install a VPN app like NordVPN from the Play Store on your Android TV Box. Open the VPN app, choose a server, and establish a secure connection.
- Open Kodi and Play Media:
- With Kodi installed and your VPN running, you can now open Kodi on your Android TV Box. The interface will be displayed on your Samsung Smart TV. Navigate through Kodi to access your media libraries, add-ons, and stream content directly on your TV.
Using Fire TV Stick
The Amazon Fire TV Stick, another popular media streaming device, can also be used to run Kodi on your Samsung Smart TV. The process is straightforward and similar to using an Android TV Box.
- Prepare Your Fire TV Stick: Connect your Fire TV Stick to your Samsung Smart TV. Make sure it’s connected to the internet and logged into your Amazon account.
- Enable Apps from Unknown Sources: Navigate to the Settings on your Fire TV Stick. Go to ‘My Fire TV’ > ‘Developer options’. Turn on ‘Apps from Unknown Sources’ to allow the installation of Kodi.
- Install Downloader App: Return to the main menu and search for the ‘Downloader’ app. Install it, as this will help you download Kodi onto your Fire TV Stick.
- Download and Install Kodi: Open the Downloader app and enter the URL for the Kodi download (you can find the latest version on the Kodi website). Download and install the app.
- Set Up Kodi: Once installed, open Kodi and set it up by adding your preferred add-ons and settings.
- Use a VPN for Privacy: To protect your streaming activities and bypass any geo-restrictions, use a VPN service like NordVPN.
What is the Cheapest Way to Get Kodi on a Samsung Smart TV?
The most cost-effective method is using an existing device like a Google Chromecast or a Roku, assuming you already own one. These methods utilize devices you may already have, avoiding the need for additional purchases.
Can I Install Kodi Directly on Samsung Smart TV?
No, direct installation is not possible due to the Tizen OS. However, alternative methods like using Chromecast, Roku, or an Android TV Box are available.
Can I Install Kodi on Any Smart TV?
Yes, Kodi can be installed directly on Smart TVs running on Android OS. For others, alternative methods like screen mirroring are required.
Is Samsung Smart TV Android-Based?
No, Samsung Smart TVs run on Tizen OS, not Android.
While installing Kodi directly on a Samsung Smart TV is not possible, the alternative methods discussed offer convenient solutions. Whether using Chromecast, Roku, or an Android TV Box, these approaches allow you to enjoy the full Kodi experience on your Samsung Smart TV. Remember to use a reliable VPN service for a secure and unrestricted streaming experience.